About redundancy

woman outside

In general terms, a redundancy happens when there is no longer a need for someone to do your work, for example, if the business is closing down or changes are made to the way the work is done.

Your employer has a duty to consider whether there are any alternative suitable jobs for you within the organisation. They also have to show that they have followed a fair procedure when making you redundant.

Redundancy procedure

If your employer is making you redundant, you should check whether it is a genuine redundancy situation and whether the correct procedure is being followed.

You may be able to claim unfair dismissal at an Employment Tribunal if your employer has not followed the right procedures. It would be unlawful age discrimination for your employer to select you for redundancy because of your age, unless they can justify this.

If you are a member of a union, you should receive support and advice from them to make sure that the redundancies are carried out fairly and that all alternatives are considered. You could also visit the TUC website, WorkSmart, opens link in new window www.worksmart.org.uk, for general information on your employment rights.

Redundancy payments

The upper age limit for statutory redundancy payments, which used to be age 65, has now been removed.

Employees over the age of 65 are now entitled to redundancy payments calculated in the same way as for other employees. Your contract of employment might say that you are entitled to more than the statutory minimum redundancy payment so you should check that you are being paid the correct amount.

What if you are not paid?

If you are not paid your redundancy payment, or if you are paid too little, you can make a claim at an Employment Tribunal. You should try to resolve the problem with your employer first by putting your complaint in writing to them.

If you do have to start an Employment Tribunal claim about your redundancy payment, you must do this within six months of being made redundant.

If your employer is insolvent and cannot pay your redundancy payment, you should claim it from the Insolvency Service’s Redundancy Payments Office.

We are grateful for the generous support of Dr Naim Dangoor CBE
and The Exilarch's Foundation

Your Age UK

Set your location to see what Age UK offers in your local area.

Age UK Advice:
0800 169 6565

Useful websites

  • Acas provide advice on your rights at work and a conciliation service to help resolve employment disputes.
  • They can advise you about the statutory minimum redundancy pay you are entitled to.
  • Telelphone 0845 747 4747 (lo‑call rate)
Close window
Display options

Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

Text size


To see information relating to Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales set your preference below: